Page 1

    A pendant set with rocks gathered from Mecca and surrounding areas on Collections Sphere from Khalili Collections

    The stones were gathered from Mecca, the valley of the battle of Badr, and Gar Hara’ (the cave of Hara’) in the Jabal al-Nur and Gar Thawr. These have been set into a pendant that were presented by the prominent Egyptian Geologist (and Director of the Egyptian Geological Museum) Darwish Mustafa al-Far (born 1925) to his teacher, the Egyptian scholar Abdel Moneim Muhammad Khallaf, as recorded in one of the two large inscribed plaques. The second plaque bears a Qur’anic verse referring to Gar Hara’ (surah al-Tawbah, IX, verse 40).

    A pendant set with rocks gathered from Mecca and surrounding areas